Warren Finch is a Senior Network Analyst / Technical Trainer at APNIC.
Monday to Thursday 25th to 28th
Software Defined Networking (SDN) Workshop
Dates: 25-28 Oct 2021
Location: Baga Toiruu-20, Ulaanbaatar 14200
Venue: Information Technology Park, #211 Room
- The emergence of SDN is having a disruptive influence on the world of data networking and is leading to a fundamental re-think of how networks are architected.
- This workshop will provide an understanding of the key technology elements of SDN via a combination of lectures and hands-on exercises.
- Anyone currently operating an IP and/or MPLS network who is interesting in understanding the impact of SDN with a view to implementing elements of it in the near future.
- This workshop is not an introduction.
- It is assumed that the workshop participants have working knowledge of IP routing, MPLS protocols and traffic-engineering, along with know how to use a router command line interface.
- The lab exercises use IOS-XR (XRv) CLI and Ubuntu VMs
We recommend the following Academy courses be completed before the start of the tutorial:
- Routing Fundamentals: https://academy.apnic.net/en/course/routing-fundamentals-course/
- Introduction to Multi-protocol label switching (MPLS) - https://academy.apnic.net/en/webinar-courses/introduction-to-mpls-and-mpls-layer3-vpn/
- Virtual lab for MPLS LDP and MPLS Layer3 VPN (Cisco IOS) - https://academy.apnic.net/en/virtual-labs/?labId=83872
- Motivation for control and data plane separation
- Architectural frameworks
- Topology discovery and management
- Segment routing
Other requirements Other requirements
- Participants are advised to bring their own laptop computers with high-speed Wi-Fi (802.11a/g/n/ac) and administrative access to system. It is also recommended that laptops have Intel i5 or i7 processor, >=8GB of RAM and 30GB of free hard disk space.
- Software: SSH Client, Telnet Client, VirtualBox/VMware
- Confirm Secure SHell (SSH) is allowed from the office or home network to access the lab infrastructure? Test ssh connectivity, try to connect to route-views.routeviews.org. For example from the CLI type: ssh email@example.com
- Agenda (includes links to presentations and schedule)
- Instructors: Warren Finch (APNIC), Dave Phelan (APNIC), Tashi Phuntsho (APNIC)